Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D B Campbell The Roman Army in Detail: The Problem of the First Cohort
(05-28-2017, 02:36 AM)Steven James Wrote: This means the centurion’s tent had the same space as two tents, so must have been a larger tent. Hyginus has the centurion allocated to the same space as the century, but no mention of the tent being larger. However, he does mention the tents of the Praetorians as being larger, so I wonder why he did not make this known about the centurion’s tent. 

Just being curious, but why would a centurion's tent have to be larger than the other tents? I mean, even if you allocate the same space, would that mean that all the space had to be used up - and therefore need a larger tent? The men and the nco's shared their tent, the centurio probably did not not have to share. I understand that praetorian's tents (in the past) were larger, but that's perhaps just a satus thing (and therefore deserved to be mentioned?), but it need not be related to the tents of the centurio (or those of the upper echelons at that).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: D B Campbell The Roman Army in Detail: The Problem of the First Cohort - by Robert Vermaat - 05-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea jkaler48 104 23,314 07-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Xanten gates-need info with more detail Arahne 2 1,398 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis