Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for a beginner in collecting a set of Roman Armor/equipment
Hey there,

Honestly if you have 2000 dollars I would save that if you're going to college. I needed the few thousand I saved to pay for books, summer courses, and now it's looking like a 5th year of college. The other issue is that you won't be able to have half of this stuff on your campus if you're living on-campus. If you get pulled over by campus police and have a sword in your car, of if someone in your dorm sees it, they're gonna freak out.

That being said, the majority of reenactors do the period around about 50-100 AD. Your equipment cost is going to depend on the quality of what you want. Places like Fabrica Cacti can make Armor and Clothing and stuff for reasonable prices and deliver quality, fitted stuff (you have no idea how great fitted armor is compared to a cheap deepeeka segmentata). Some things are easy to make your own, like a Tunic, which is just a really long, wide slab of linen you can fold in half and sew together by hand.

Era: c. 50-100 AD

Helmet: Gallic-Type. F, G, H for about 50-80 AD, I or J for about 80-100 AD. I'd recommend having this made by the Pustelak Brothers or Fabrica Cacti or something, but you can buy them from vendors like Kult of Athena, Soul of the Warrior, or Armae.

Armor: It depends on what you want. Chainmail will run you about $300 which is a LOT cheaper than it used to be. Scale will run you about $600. If you want Lorica Segmentata, it will cost you more because you're going to want to have a set of it custom made to fit you. Fabrica Cacti can do that.

Tunic: Again, make this yourself. A slab of linen with a diamond-twill or herringbone weave, fold it in half, cut and hem a hole for the neck, and sew them together.

Scutum: You can always just buy a deepeeka one which will run you about $300 USD. Ask around though as there are reenactors who make them by hand for around the same price, and these are lighter and far more accurate.

Belt: First of all it's called a Cingulum Militare or a Balteus. You'll need a Baldric for your sword too. Soul of the Warrior sells a Baldric but if you're going to have a sword made, you can probably ask them to fashion a baldric to go with it too. The belt you can either buy fittings from a place like Replik Shop and do yourself, or you can buy one from Soul of the Warrior (which you may have to trim down to your size, they are a bit on the large size by default).

Sword: You can either buy a cheap one (around $200) from Soul of the Warrior or have one made by Mark Morrow (who has a wait time) which will run you about $400 USD, more for a scabbard.

Caligae: You can buy these from Soul of the Warrior. Buy a size smaller than your shoe size.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tips for a beginner in collecting a set of Roman Armor/equipment - by Flavivs Aetivs - 05-18-2017, 12:16 PM