Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for a beginner in collecting a set of Roman Armor/equipment
Hey all!

Amateur alert here... I know virtually nothing when it comes to which dealers and manufacturers are reputable in the re-enacting and collecting world. For three months now, I have been saving every penny I can in the hopes of collecting my own set of authentic, historically accurate roman equipment/armor. I have collected enough and had prior savings to where I can reasonably spend up to $2,000 on collecting a full set of Roman armor. (I'm a senior in high school, about to go off to college so don't judge for me not being so experienced in this field XD)

Now here's my dilemma. I have heard that there are many regulations for re-enactors when they go to re-enactment groups with other legions, particularly the era of their armor and equipment. I'm going to college in Utah, near Salt Lake City(obviously I won't tell you where I go) and want to know the recommended era most legions have. I couldn't find any real active re-enactment legions around that area so I figured for now I would like to acquire my own set of equipment, and see firsthand how it functioned rather than watching countless videos of others' armor in jealousy.

If possible, and I realize this is asking a lot, could I get someone to find me reputable dealers and manufacturers as well as a recommendation as to what era I should be focusing on? I'm fine with any, really, but my preference would be equipment and armor a typical legionnaire would have from 1st to 3rd century. In addition, if it's not too much of a hassle, would you mind commenting in this format as to make it easier for me to understand? Feel free to add to what I'm forgetting. Also, I'm still saving up but please limit and raise the price to what your average re-enactor pays for rather than high-end or low end products of the market.

TLDR; Guide so noobs can figure out reputable dealers and average prices and quality for a set of armor/equipment they wish to obtain.

My profile:
6'2" with a stocky frame.

Answer format(if not too much of a hassle, and feel free to list as many options as you want)
(price = $$)(quality = low-end, ok, average, high-end)(link = "LINK")

Era: "ERA of Armor/equipment"

1) HelmetSadprice)(quality)(link)

2) Body Armor: (price)(quality)(link)

3) Tunic: (price)(quality)(link)

4) Scutum(shield): (price)(quality)(link) * for this I'm really not pick on the era. Although I realize I should be. Big Grin

5) Pteruges(belt): (price)(quality)(link)

6) Caligae(boots): (price)(quality)(link)

7) Gladius(main weapon): (price)(quality)(link)

Honestly you don't have to answer in that format, it just helps beginners and I learn what types of equipment would be standard for your average 1st century legionnaire. If you could even just comment dealers and manufacturers with a specification as to what type of equipment they specialize in there that would be great.

I plan to display this armor on an armor stand while the gladius and scutum are securely attached to my wall. Yes I do realize I'm not a "true" re-enactor but for a soon to be college kid who just wants to add to his collection of Roman artifacts and see a symbolic piece of Rome every time he walks into his room, this ain't bad at all. I consider it a start, albeit a start I have earnestly waited 2 years to initiate.

TLDR; Guide for noobs on collecting armor and equipment from reputable dealers. A recommended book on the subject is also appreciated. Also a desperate cry for help from one REALLY, REALLY, confused person who loves ancient Rome. Smile Huh Confused Smile

Messages In This Thread
Tips for a beginner in collecting a set of Roman Armor/equipment - by scottk100 - 04-26-2017, 06:10 AM