Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice.
Hello, After reading this post i couldn't help but ask if this project became a reality. I had always assumed that the Celtic version was larger than the Greek version (an assumption based on artwork/scale), and the shield being dished is a question of of ease of production. Flat shields being less demanding to produce, and dished being mostly an exception.(If you can make it in a dished manner.. why not?) of coarse this is all again.. my assumption after thumbing around a little bit in my free time. I've constructed a Celtic "flat" style shield myself, and when it was all said and done it was one of my quickest/ cheapest projects i've ever attempted. (no curving, sanding, or fitting needed.) the most labor intensive part was the spine/boss. I'm in the middle of working on a samnite style shield, and i'm starting to come back to the flat/dished/curved question because of the plethora of art work and the lack of physical evidence. I would love to see someone take on the dished approach. ill include some shots of my first attempt at this shield (I know acrylics are a no no but we all have to start somewhere!) the shield weighs around 8 pounds.. heavier than i would have liked it to be.. but it was my first crack at it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions about Hellenistic Greek Thureophoros impression; in need of some advice. - by Combatrobert - 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wigs good for Greek hoplite impression? dienekes7 0 442 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: dienekes7
  Show here your Greek warrior impression spyros 1,103 440,712 08-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Last Post: emilius
  Major Greek/Hellenistic Event in the UK – 2012 John Conyard 19 4,595 12-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Ammianus