Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supplicant Soldiers' Relief from Istanbul
(02-28-2017, 04:22 PM)ValentinianVictrix Wrote: The only reason I stated that a large number of historians equate the fragments with the Column of Arcadius is the fact there were reliefs of ships on that column, and the foundations of the Hamami still have some fragment of ships as shown in my photographs. There is no evidence that Theodosius fought a naval battle against the Goths as far as I am aware but we know Gainus and his Goths suffered a Naval defeat against the Romans. Hence this is why the fragments are believed to come from the Arcadius column and not the Theodosian one.

Do a large number of historians equate the fragments with the Arcadius Column? I don't know of any but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places. Both the Theodosius Column (Menestrier) and the Arcadius Column (Freshfield) show men in ships but neither depicts a sea battle as such, so I don't think that a ship in the Beyazit fragments is in any way determinative. These ships could just be transports. In any event, if historians argue that the fragments come from the Arcadius Column, they do have to get around the difficulty of the comparative histories of the columns and the baths.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flavius Aemilianus - ducenarius of Cornuti - by Renatus - 02-28-2017, 05:48 PM