Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards
Here goes pic heavy  Smile

First tools used as you can see basic, I made a small section of band out of 0.6mm brass old stuff. Used upvc window sil board as vice grips then filed the rough edges down to tolerance sanded edge and wire wool finish.

Useing long nose pliers bend 90'. Place on round bar and useing hands start to bend, useing thumb slide it along brass as you bend this will keep it true and helps to stop kinking of the metal. Continue to bend until it is fully round the bar. To finish place bar and brass with angle iron in vice and as you can see gentley pull the brass together this will help pull the brass round to finish.

This is what you finish with, this is the type used on the Thracian type locket next your standered Mainz/Fullum, Pompeii.

Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

I have just used a standered scabbard for this this is best made when you have made your locket.

Lie across scabbard and bend down and Mark were to bend, useing pliers bend 90' then place on bar and start to bend all the way  round. Useing pliers for the back, bend back to start the other side, then useing rod start the curve for to finish the rap around of the fit on the scabbard. 

As you can see it raps around the scabbard, both types side by side and finally the profile. I have just done this quick so a little bit more time you can refine the fit. Hope this helps you Crispvs and others and how basic tools and method is used  Smile  Wink
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? sulla felix 217 52,566 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,074 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius Titus Publius Saturninus 92 23,370 06-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Marcus Hortensius Castus