Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards
I have been asked by a member on how to make the cross bands to hold the rings for scabbards. This a pic below Smile

The best way I have found to make them is using flat bar ect and sandwich the components together the only down side is I weld alll the pieces together to form a solid block. Otherwise you could drill through the parts and bolt together, if they dont line up then turnning the drill holes into slots you will have the room to line up the segments. Or if you are good with a file you can file away the profile. you then make a male punch with the same profile to press the pattern into the metal with a Thor hammer or similier so the punch stays true and does not mushroom. Hope you can keep up with me. I tend to make my cross bands out of heavier metal as in the past I have had scabbards come back for repair as the ring has worn through the band, this is what has happend on some origonals. If it is a simple profile then raising some of the plates up or as in the photo I filed the centre section for the two bumps then chanfered the outer plates to finish the edge. the male die I inserted a piece of stainless steel, to put the centre line in
I hope from the photos you can see how they are constructed;

This shows both tools with the brass being formed the left side shows a back plate this is a stop edge to run the material along so to keep it true as you hammer the pattern into the metal.

Now the profile shape needs to be made the width of the band you want the excess material can be cut from the length a bit fiddley but it means I can add a bit more width if I need too.

Once you have done the strip cut it back, you can run it along the die to crisp it up.

Sorry for the pic but I hope it shows other style cross bands and also the the profiles of the extra piece that the bands sit in.
 If you have any questions I will try to answer or if anyone would like to share there method please post Wink  As to the thickness of brass I will  will see what the calipers say but I just go by eye and intended purpose so you could use thinner if it was not holding any weight.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards - by brennivs - tony drake - 02-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? sulla felix 217 52,546 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,066 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius Titus Publius Saturninus 92 23,370 06-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Marcus Hortensius Castus