Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Dates
I've copied this across from "Boudica's Last Stand" as I want to go off thatsubject:

(01-13-2017, 01:17 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 12:18 PM)MonsGraupius Wrote: A very "simple" question: which year was Boudica's last battle.

The reason I ask is that I make it 61AD based on Tac Ann 12.29
"In the consulship of Caesonius Paetus and Petronius Turpilianus, a serious disaster was sustained in Britain,"

Then looking at Wikipedia list of Roman Consuls this puts it in 61AD. However some people suggest 60AD and if they are suggesting another date, then this means either Wikipedia is wrong (the reason I was checking dates in the first place) or there's another way of calculating the date of the battle.

As you say, Tacitus is quite clear that the revolt happened 'in the consulship of Cæsonius Pætus and Petronius Turpilianus', which is AD61. The redating of the revolt to AD60, first proposed in 1878, was popularised (along with the 'cavalry dash' idea) by Dudley and Webster in 1962. However, Kevin Carroll's The Date of Boudicca's Revolt (Britannia, Vol 10, 1979) provides a very convincing argument that the events happened when Tacitus said they did

Tacitus tells us that Turpilianus had 'just laid down his consulship' when he was nominated to replace Paulinus - ordinary consuls usually served for the first six months of the year, so if the revolt happened in 60 Turpilianus wouldn't have been able to take over command in Britain until the autumn of the following year at the earliest. Also, we know that his colleague Pætus arrived in Armenia for his own ill-fated governorship in 62.

Despite this, as Timothy Barnes says in Ammianus Marcellinus and the Representation of Historical Reality, "many modern students of Roman Britain have shown a perverse resolve to reject Tacitus' explicit and emphatic date for the rebellion in favour of 60 simply because he notes that Petronius Turpilianus had relinquished his consulate before he was sent to Britain to replace Suetonius Paulinus."

I did wonder a few pages back whether the revolt might have started in autumn 60 and continued into 61, but after further thought it seemed less likely. So it seems that 61 was the year of the revolt, and it probably happened between spring and early autumn. Although, as Carroll says at the end of his essay, “our evidence will not permit a definite chronology.” [Image: wink.png]

I've been checking other first century British dates (yes taken from Wikipedia which is why I'm checking them), and I cannot fathom where the following come from:

1. Did Aulus Plautius become governor in 43AD or 44AD?
  2. What determines the beginning of governorship of Publius Ostorius Scapula (47AD)
  3. What determines the beginning of governorship of Aulus Didius Gallus (52AD)
  4. What determines the End of governorship of Aulus Didius Gallus (57AD)
  5. What determines the beginning of governorship of Quintus Veranius Nepos (58AD)
  6. What determines the beginning of governorship of Marcus Trebellius Maximus (63AD)
  7. What determines the beginning of governorship of Quintus Petillius Cerialis (71AD)
  8. What determines the beginning of governorship of Sextus Julius Frontinus (74AD)
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
Roman Dates - by MonsGraupius - 01-13-2017, 03:38 PM
RE: Roman Dates - by Nathan Ross - 01-13-2017, 08:34 PM
RE: Roman Dates - by MonsGraupius - 01-13-2017, 10:49 PM
RE: Roman Dates - by Nathan Ross - 01-13-2017, 11:31 PM
RE: Roman Dates - by MonsGraupius - 01-14-2017, 01:27 AM
RE: Roman Dates - by Druzhina - 01-15-2017, 04:38 AM
RE: Roman Dates - by MonsGraupius - 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM
RE: Roman Dates - by Nathan Ross - 01-15-2017, 11:13 AM
RE: Roman Dates - by MonsGraupius - 01-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many Roman military dates do you know? Praefectusclassis 54 26,598 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Carus Andiae