Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goldman\'s \'Lets Wrap\'
While not a professional video, this is a very informative video on a variety of clothing styles. Most of the costumes are the same ones seen in the 1983 "The World of Roman Costume", chapter 13, though some are updated based on reexamination of evidence. Her primary sources are wall paintings and sculpture.<br>
<br>
The video covers a number of Etruscan reconstructions, early republican, through the empire and into Constantine's period.<br>
<br>
Dr. Goldman shows how to do a stola and peplos from one piece of cloth, using pins at the shoulder and using belts to blouse up the rest of the material. This is noted in her chapter but not as easy (for me anyway) to visualize. She also covers gap sleeved tunica and sewn sides.<br>
<br>
She briefly mentions the use of weights in one toga reconstruction, but she does not mention the use of weights in a large imperial style toga.<br>
<br>
She only reconstructs one pair of shoes, a pointed set of Etruscan slippers.<br>
<br>
The one Roman soldier is reconstructed literally from Trajan's column, which leads to an embarrassing looking lorica and very odd looking caligae. One has to wonder if the reliance on sculpture for legionaries means that the sculpture of women's clothing is any more stylized and less realistic?<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
Goldman\'s \'Lets Wrap\' - by richard - 08-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Re: Goldman\'s \'Lets Wrap\' - by venicone - 08-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Let\'s wrap - by richard - 08-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Re: Let\'s wrap - by richard - 09-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Re: Let\'s wrap - by Lepidina - 09-10-2003, 05:39 AM
Re: Let\'s wrap--weights on togas - by Anonymous - 09-10-2003, 03:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Goldman\'s patterns, Carol VDM\'s shoes richsc 0 1,079 01-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Play on Mummy Wrap richsc 0 1,989 11-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Last Post: richsc