Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Roman Officer arts and Antiquities\'
Dear all,<br>
<br>
I was directed to this website: www.romanofficer.com/ I have some grave doubts about what is offered and about the text which accompanies it. How about this one:<br>
<br>
"The title Dux is one of the rarest used in the ancient Roman world. This rank was hardly ever used until Diocletian made it an official at the end of the 3rd Century. Diocletian used this rank to separate power from the military and the judicial branch of ancient Rome's government. A 3rd or 4th Century Dux had only military authority. The term Dummviri is a legal authority so this tag states that a Dux (Special Commander) was installed with legal authority. This would be a very rare occurrence and for the legionary that had the tag made up it seems that it was his career highlight. Could this legionary have made a record of the installment of Lucius Castus Artorius with powers of a Dux and a Dummviri? "<br>
<br>
Is there any validity at all in there? Comments, please.<br>
<br>
Chhers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
\'Roman Officer arts and Antiquities\' - by Robert Vermaat - 10-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Re: \'Roman Officer arts and Antiquities\' - by Guest - 10-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Re: \'Roman Officer arts and Antiquities\' - by Guest - 10-11-2002, 12:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of museums of Greek and Roman antiquities Astiryu1 0 841 08-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Astiryu1
  roman martial arts caius matinius mattius 2 1,421 05-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Ceasar Augustus