Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bronze hoplite cavalryman?
(11-02-2016, 04:15 AM)Paullus Scipio Wrote: "Sorry, Paul, but I believe both these statements are incorrect. It is indeed a decorative nipple, described as such:"

I'm sorry you're sorry, but I am sorry you're wrong. (That is both my reply and a great title for a country song)

The fact is that you can't have epomides without tie-downs.  Even the fake ones on bronze cuirasses have, as you mentioned, ring type tie downs.  So if those are nipples where are the tie downs?  Even if this were a bronze cuirasse I would contend that these are stylized tie-downs not nipples. The last image you posted shows almost the same- note they are way to low down to be nipples as well.  They are not rings, most of the hoplite images I know of show studs, not rings.  The thong is tied below the stud. see below.  The artist here has just not left a gap between the stud and the base material.  There actually is not much of a gap even in the real ones, they thong must be snugged up below the rivet.

"This type of knot would not secure anything, because it is relatively weak and easily 'capsized'.....It is nothing like the belt or knots one would use to doubly secure 5 C 'spolades'....."

I am an old boy scout, but I tie mine off with a square not- a granny if I screw it up and am in a hurry.  You don't need a special knot for this.  The belt was obviously at some point in history used to secure armor- the double wrap speaks to this.  Whether from earlier Greeks or Persians.  You can't use the fact that it is tied onto solid bronze armor even when not needed as evidence that it was not functional on soft armor.   Below is a hoplite putting his belt on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by richsc - 10-14-2016, 01:50 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by Bryan - 10-14-2016, 03:37 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by emilius - 10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by JaM - 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by JaM - 10-31-2016, 02:50 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by JaM - 11-01-2016, 12:42 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by Paul Bardunias - 11-02-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by Feinman - 09-28-2021, 03:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,774 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite