Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bronze hoplite cavalryman?
Paul B wrote:
Quote:"I think it is a leather Spolas.  That is not a nipple!  Unless this was Ptolemy's grandmother's armor!  It is a stylized tie-down for the epomide....."

......and....

"This is surely not correct and yet another indictment of making such claims without actually wearing one.  I know this because a) the belt I have on my T-Y serves a purpose, and b) we see on vases from the 5thc belts being tied by arming hoplites."

Sorry, Paul, but I believe both these statements are incorrect. It is indeed a decorative nipple, described as such:

"there are two rosette-shaped buttons symmetrically placed on the lower part of the chest."

As can be seen, these are actually 'stud' shaped, and solid - in fact nipple shaped, and anatomically correctly placed. You should also not confuse 5 C practices with 3 C ones. These 'epomides' are residual ones, not the practical shoulder protectors of old, and are usually found on bronze cuirasses as decorative elements. You certainly couldn't tie down anything to these 'nipples' ! In fact, where these locations are used for tie-downs the 'nipples' are almost invariably rings, and the ties then passed through and tied off in a bow.

More commonly, the 'epomides' were tied off to rings placed higher up, above the decorative 'nipples' ( which appear on bronze cuirasses, I can't recall off-hand any on other types of body armour) - see Hadrian and Julius Caesar and the Hellenistic panoply from Corfu below.

As to the 'belts', they are in this instance  a single decorative girdle commonly used as a symbol of high rank,  see examples below, and also the other statue I posted previously on Oct 16. They are  tied in a special decorative 'knot of Hercules', and are incidentally a single 'belt/girdle', not two:

"The cuirass is tied at the waist with a cloth belt that crosses at the back to tie an intricate knot at the center front. [Knot of Hercules, or reef knot]. The free ends of this sash go under the belt at different heights forming loops and then fall freely at the sides." 

This type of knot would not secure anything, because it is relatively weak and easily 'capsized'.....

It is nothing like the belt or knots one would use to doubly secure 5 C 'spolades'.....

Note also that the 'epomides' in both these bronze statues do not 'align' vertically with the 'nipple' decorations, so if tied off to these the 'epomides' would be pulled inward....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by richsc - 10-14-2016, 01:50 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by Bryan - 10-14-2016, 03:37 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by emilius - 10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by JaM - 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by JaM - 10-31-2016, 02:50 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by JaM - 11-01-2016, 12:42 PM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by Paullus Scipio - 11-02-2016, 04:15 AM
RE: New Bronze hoplite cavalryman? - by Feinman - 09-28-2021, 03:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,829 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite