Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xenophon's On Horsemanship Neck Guard
Giannis wrote:

"However Xenophon says also two interesting things: that the gorget can act as an ornament, and indeed many of these gorgets are lavishly decorated with gold, and there are even necklaces from Thrace with the same shape, and that only "if properly made" the gorget can cover the face. This is an indication that oftentimes these gorgets were not properly made according to Xenophon."

I would agree with this, but I should like to elaborate on what Xenophon likely meant. He is not saying 'if properly made' in the literal sense, for it goes without saying that any piece of functional armour must be properly made. What Xenophon likely means is 'if properly made in accordance with my specifications', and as Giannis points out, this must mean that not all gorgets were made to Xenophon's ideal.

Also, Xenophon does not say that calfskin[leather] should replace bronze, rather that either calfskin/leather or bronze can be used.

The part that is left exposed when the right arm is raised should be covered near the breastplate with calf-skin or metal; otherwise the most vital part will be unprotected. "
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Xenophon's On Horsemanship Neck Guard - by Paullus Scipio - 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xenophon on horsemanship- the armour richard robinson 13 3,700 09-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell