Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Famous Stilicho Diptych - Actually Depicts Aetius
(08-24-2016, 01:46 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: https://www.academia.edu/8782362/THE_POR...14_p._7-21

Although a few historical facts are wrong, possibly in part due to translation, this is a very good critical review of the diptych.

There are indeed a few mistakes (why is the shield on the diptych 'round'?) but there was never any doubt that the persons on the diptych were unidentified. I mean it could be Stilicho but no-one could ever be sure. Why not Arbogast while we're at it? Why not Ricimer?
And yes, it could be Aetius as well, I see no reason to exclude him whatsoever.

The article certainly goes into detail. Some of which I don't agree with.
 - shield medallion: the author states that Arcadius and Honorius can't be on the same 'bildnismedallion' because the empire was already split and at odds. However, Stilicho did claim at several points to be the legal guardian for both boys, and this could just be the thing to show that claim. Also, we know of coins minted by Constantine III showing him and the other two augusti - showing his claim to be a colleage of them. Nobody knows for sure who the stylistic faces really are. But there is nothing strange with the medallion and it does in no way exclude a dating c. 400.
- fibulae. The author does not discuss these (whereas he discusses hairstyles and tiaras at length). The fibuale are telling however, because both the man and the boy wear what looks like a type 13 (Keller type 6), which are dated 350-450. Of course that does not exclude Aetius, but in my opinion it is more typical of Stilicho's floruit.
- Huns. Stilicho did for sure have relations with the Huns. They were at least part of the coaltion forces which he lead against Radagais in 406. Which means he must have had relation with Hunnic groups before that date. If the sword is indeed Hunnic (and I have found no corroboration for that) it would not change the dating of the diptych.

Everything else written in the article is about the persons being Aetius, his wife and son. Which are, as I said already, one of the possibilities. However I do not see any reason to exclude Stilicho from these on the evidence presnted.

Added: high res image of the Monza diptych

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Famous Stilicho Diptych - Actually Depicts Aetius - by Robert Vermaat - 08-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honorius diptych Caballo 3 1,665 08-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat