Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-24-2016, 06:23 PM)JaM Wrote: hmm, ok ,then what are these Hoplites trying to say?

Technically speaking taking vase painting too seriously, and assuming the Hoplite fighting style off it, is like assessing modern infantry tactics from a Rambo movie.. (lindybeige said that i think)

See that is the kind of argument that ruins this discussion.  You argue with an ancient painter that he has drawn a hoplite holding his spear wrong, and when called on it bring up a straw-man arguement that other images show underhand.  I am a big believer in the underhand grip- it is irrational to deny obvious imagery.  What I and others have said is that they did not use it in formation.  Find an vase image of formed hoplites using underhand.  All images I know of show overhand.  This is why Mathew had to try to dismiss them as being thrown. 

I only wish we had the equivalent of a Rambo movie.  If we knew nothing about 20thc war and had First Blood.  We would know exactly how the M16 was fired, aimed loaded, select fire, capacity, and could get the cyclic rate from the audio.  Same for the M60.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-24-2016, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,983 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno