Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International living history standards
Inspired by an article Dr. Prof. Jon Coulston commented upon (http://blog.pennlive.com/gettysburg-150/...ments.html) and after talking to him about it, I've started inquiring about a broad cooperative academic framework that would involve the level of accuracy the US National Park Service looks for in their living history volunteers, as opposed to the average reenactor. 
Since there aren't any two reenactors in any time period who willingly agree on anything, the notion occurs to me to seek an independent third party accreditation which can set  standards for awarding academic credits: the one international organization that pops up first is the Internatiional Baccalaureate.
I have been talking with Ratna Drost of Archeon, as well as the EXARC folks, and she suggested using the manual Archeon has:

http://openarch.eu/files/2015-12-18_inte...web_a4.pdf

It would not mean that any particular living history / reenactor would have to change, but to achieve a level of accreditation required to give students academic IB credit, they would have to meet that particular criteria, both in verbal and visual presentation. Dr. Coulston feels reenactors have a lot to offer, and if academics felt they could guide/influence the curricula they might be more inclined to participate. It might also recruit (this is a big one) new people who agree with the standards.

(Ok, it might also mean the end of vambraces since no academic would support it, but a particular group would not have to eliminate them: they just would not be able to give credit, and schools might avoid them).
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
International living history standards - by richsc - 07-16-2016, 10:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living History and advanced students, eg, IBO richsc 0 1,068 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Last Post: richsc
  EXARC and living history groups richsc 0 1,034 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Why do you reenactment / Living History caiusbeerquitius 48 16,510 07-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Damianus Albus