Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax construction with alternative fabric
(07-21-2016, 05:36 PM)rocktupac Wrote: Also, as I've said before, both Aldrete and I are not 100% convinced that glued armor was the only thing or the major thing. Again, we simply don't know. But to say it didn't exist is wrong as well.
Great!  Then why don't you give us one piece of evidence that glued linen armour existed before Peter Connolly made his first piece?  I sure could not find any in your book, but archaeologists and papyrologists are always finding new things.

Cartonnage mummy masks are not glued linen armour.  References to "linen cuirasses" are not evidence for glued linen armour.  Paintings of smooth, white cuirasses are not evidence for glued linen armour.  A fragment of a glued linen cuirass in a Thracian tomb would be evidence for glued linen armour. A joke about an armourer's glue-pot in a fragment of Menander would be evidence for glued linen armour.  A recipe for how to make some in a Mughal tailor's notebook would be evidence for glued linen armour.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linothorax construction with alternative fabric - by Sean Manning - 07-24-2016, 10:40 AM