Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax construction with alternative fabric
(07-20-2016, 03:43 PM)rocktupac Wrote: Eben, we actually have a TON of evidence that ancient armor was made from linen. There are a loud minority of folks that have a strong desire to wish away the dozens of references to linen armor from ancient sources. Any serious scholar recognizes the myriad of literary references to linen armor. It existed in the ancient world despite a few bad apples suggesting it didn't.
Although I am slightly on the linen side it is NOT because of any published evidence, there isn't any, and yes I have the book by Aldrete and have even communicated with some of his students. Those who are on the leather side are NOT bad apples just because they disagree with me and frankly the majority of serious scholars are NOT convinced that linen, especially glued linen, was used as the evidence is so scant. Most simply say, "we don't know." Other than Prof. Aldrete, who I respect, I don't know anyone else out there saying it was linen.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linothorax construction with alternative fabric - by Creon01 - 07-20-2016, 10:07 PM