Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women Gladiators????
Hello all.<br>
<br>
Nice questions Richard.<br>
<br>
First off the hair.<br>
The reconstructed hair style from the Osprey book is of a LEG II AVG member who fought as a gladiator, the hair cut was based upon what is known about female hair styles and what can be seen of the left hand figure in the halicarnassus stone, which isn't much but some form of possible bradding about the top of the head.<br>
<br>
The Halicarnassus stone may be one of two stone depicting female fighters, there is a stone in Mastraacht (sp?) that depicts two combatants. There is a good amount of artistic evidence that these gladiators may be women, however the same evidence could be turned on its head to show they are men. The position of the right hand fighter shows him stood with his legs together from the knees up, apparently a common way of depicting females as it accents the hips. Both fighters are shown with shoulders narrower than their hips and with smooth thighs - again both Roman techniques of depicting women.<br>
<br>
However, a common way of demonstrating a defeated gladiator is in the position described above because they have lost all virtus, including masculinity so they are depicted using female art techniques. The next time you get a chance, take a look at a lot of standing defeated gladiators, there are often depicted legs together from the knees up.<br>
<br>
Thomas Wiedemann, for my money one of the best authors on Gladiators, shares the possible understanding that this is a depiction of two women, unfortunately the stone is badly smoothed (possibly explaining the smooth thighs) so it could swing either way.<br>
<br>
The clothing. This is a toughy. Lets start at the top. The halicarnassus stone shows the women without helmets. The two objects at their feet are often considered helmets. I am not that convinced because of three reasons. Firstly someone has gone to a lot of effort on the hair of the left hand fighter, however we are not looking at a photograph so this could just be artistic. The shape of the two objects on the floor look more like the heads and shoulders of two onlookers rather than helmets - although it would be unusual for a depiction of the crowd to be placed on the floor. Again we can argument and counter argument. Lastly, there seems to have been a general rule of thumb that gladiators fought wit their helmets on, but no one knows whether this applies to the women.<br>
<br>
In keeping with the above confusing arguments and counters we decided to have most of our women fight helmetless, but more on this below.<br>
<br>
Next the tops. Many people think that the women fought topless, there is little or no evidence for this and I suspect alterer motives! =) Using the Halicarnassus stone you can see a chest shape on the left hand fighter, but the stone is so badly weathered it is difficult to tell whether she is topless or not, she is certainly wearing a belt or high waisted subligiculum though.<br>
<br>
The waist is clothed down to the mid thigh with a subligiculum, it looks for all intents and purposes the same as a male version.<br>
<br>
Due to modern decency and the fact that one of the female gladiators is my wife, they wear tops, these are made up of a wrap of material with a few hidden modern touches as we almost lost one in a a fight much to the embarrassment of the lady but the delight of the crowd. The subligiculum are the same as the men wear in the group, although we are experimenting heavily in these for the men and the women this year.<br>
<br>
Manica, the left hand Halicarnassus stone figure can be seen wearing a manica, it is likely that her opponent is too, but this is just guess.<br>
<br>
The right hand figure wears a greave and fights with a shield similar to a small scutum used by the men. Our fighters use the thracian height shield greaves (if they wear them) in light of this evidence and their strength.<br>
<br>
As for the complete look of the women, we have decided that the women can dress as their male counterparts as complete gladiator types, thracian, murmillo etc ...<br>
<br>
This decision is based upon the Essedaria mention in literature. In a specific writing by Petronius they are referred to as women, however a grave stela dedicated to Gallicianus talks of him as a Essedarius, both of these words, the name and the noun are male. So as there where male Essedarius we are taking the leap to assumption that other types may have existed in this dual nature.<br>
<br>
Essedarius - Essedaria (historically known)<br>
Hoplomachus - Hoplomachia<br>
<br>
And so forth. While I realise that this is pretty circumstantial it is a decision that I have taken until more or less evidence comes to light, unfortunate but there we have it.<br>
<br>
The truth is that very little is truly known about female gladiators other than they existed. It is my belief that it was quite a common occurence. I think that a good number of ancient writers never truly covered them because they where considered more of a titillation than a thoroughbred gladiator type by the elite and it would not have been considered the correct thing to spend much time upon. However, by the inaugration of the Flavian Amphitheatre they get a solid mention and Severus banned them for the good of Roman Women, so they must have been popular.<br>
<br>
Our women open the games we hold, either in direct combat or mythological reenactment based upon Martials work in the Book of Spectacles and the orderhe ascribes to the many days fighting.<br>
<br>
Further evidence can be found run through on our website here www.ludus.org.uk/r/essaywomen.html <br>
<br>
I hope this helps in some way, please feel free to either ask more questions or write to m personally and I will try and help as best I can, this has been done off the top of my head so it may be a little jumbled.<br>
<br>
Apologies for any missed spellings.<br>
<br>
Yours<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Women Gladiators???? - by Anonymous - 11-17-2001, 06:07 AM
Women Gladiators.... - by Anonymous - 11-18-2001, 02:42 AM
Re: Women Gladiators.... - by Anonymous - 01-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Woman "gladiator" grave... - by Matthew Amt - 01-04-2002, 05:29 PM
gladiator - by Anonymous - 01-04-2002, 07:10 PM