Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emperors, Court and Travelling Retinue
Hi

I hope you can help. A bit of a rambling selection of questions.... I am interested in the make up of the imperial court, who would have travelled with the Emperor and how the imperial court (not just the Emperor) would have interacted with the senate and local governance when away from Rome. At this point I am interested mainly in the reigns of Caligula and Claudius.

I am also interested in who would have travelled with Caligula when he went to Gesoriacum in AD 40, for his cancelled invasion of Britannia... What members of court, what roles and people, who would have been in his entourage? I think this was before a governor would have been in charge of Gallia Belgica... So would the Proconsul have attended him on a regular basis, assuming a proconsul ran it, or would he simply have been focused on admin of Gallia Belgica? On that note, do we have the name of who was in charge of Gallia Belgica at this point?

Lastly, who accompanied Claudius when he visited Britannia after the successful invasion? What roles were considered essential for him to work effectively locally and to stay in touch with Rome?

Any recommended reading?

Many thanks for any guidance you can give.

Cheers

John

Messages In This Thread
Emperors, Court and Travelling Retinue - by John Moxey - 06-01-2016, 01:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Law court richsc 2 1,385 08-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Last Post: richsc