Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
third century crises
Salve,<br>
<br>
From my side it is also mostly summarising what I have read and trying to reconciliate conflicting evidence and interpretations into a workable model.<br>
<br>
The date of introduction of the small legion is difficult to pinpoint. It may have started before Diocletianus if one accepts the possibility that the presently known stations of I <i> Illyricorum</i> and IV <i> Martia</i> are indeed the only bases for these units. However the <i> Notitia Dignitatum</i> and the Panoplis papyrus with the various detachments of II {i]Traiana[/i] seem to indicate that some <i> legiones</i> were spread out over several bases as well as furnishing a field army detachment which seems to warrant a more cautious approach to allow for other detachments of these very units at as yet unknown locations.<br>
<br>
Vegetius's statement that the legions of <i> Ioviani</i> and <i> Herculiani</i> were raised 6000 man strong apiece comes from a dubious source, though it cannot be discarded perse. These Diocletianic legions were apparently both serving as field army elite forces attached to the imperial <i> comitatus</i> as well as serving as border forces in one of the newly created provinces. Thus it seems that these new units were from the start already divided between several detachments which may have had only the loosest of attachments outside the common title.<br>
<br>
In addition the <i> legio</i> I <i> Noricorum</i> appears to have been created by brigading existing auxiliary units into a larger formation and some other fourth century legions seem to have been formed from auxiliary units.<br>
<br>
Existing field army vexillations appear to have led a life alone from their parent formations with some field army units belonging to different emperor's armies than their original units. The application of the title <i> legio</i> rather than <i> vexillatio</i> to such units in the fourth century appears to have merely recognised the existing state of affairs.<br>
<br>
There is an interesting article by Tomlin in R.J. Brewer's <i> Roman fortresses and their legions</i> (a paperback issue of which has recently been published) on the late Roman legions.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
third century crises - by Goffredo - 04-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Re: third century crises - by Guest - 04-12-2001, 05:32 AM
Re: third century crises - by Guest - 04-20-2001, 10:28 AM
Re: smaller groupings and long term trends - by Guest - 04-22-2001, 07:43 PM
Applying Luttwak\'s model - by Guest - 04-26-2001, 08:37 AM
territory - by Goffredo - 04-26-2001, 10:39 AM
Re: territory - by Guest - 04-27-2001, 09:26 AM