Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
third century crises
I have always been interested in the 3rd century AD because it must have been a terrible period. The empire survived at a great price. I have always been extremely impressed by the vigor that the Romans and their provincials showed in fighting back what seemed like terrible odds: two fronts, the Goths and the Sassanians, not to speak of the constant civil wars that, in terms of draining resources, was actually a third front that kept constantly opening behind the back of an emperor on campaign! Those emperors that took the title (in some cases they got stuck with it), knew the great risks involved. Almost all of them died violently and knew that they would. Many had great military talent (Galerius, Claudius II, Aurelian, Carus, Diocletian). Great personalities perfect for those terrible times. I wish there was more interest in the period between the death of Alexander Severus and the coming of Diocletian. In many ways things (economy, values, politics, art) were changed forever and the world took a new turn. Some historians start telling the Medieval world with the end of the reign of Diocletian. This is a Roman Army forum and the army certainly changed in many ways although there was certainly a great deal of continuity. I once had a lively a lengthy discussion with Sander about this on another forum. He stresses continuity in the Army while in many exterior and maybe not very profound ways the army of the fourth century looks different. I don't want to reopen that specific discussion, but I would be very pleased and interested to see questions, discussions and contributions concerning the Roman Army during those years. Maybe it can get some of you that are experts in High Empire Legionary equipment and problematics to tune into what happened later. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Messages In This Thread
third century crises - by Goffredo - 04-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Re: third century crises - by Guest - 04-12-2001, 05:32 AM
Re: third century crises - by Guest - 04-20-2001, 10:28 AM
Re: smaller groupings and long term trends - by Guest - 04-22-2001, 07:43 PM
Applying Luttwak\'s model - by Guest - 04-26-2001, 08:37 AM
territory - by Goffredo - 04-26-2001, 10:39 AM
Re: territory - by Guest - 04-27-2001, 09:26 AM
coups - by Goffredo - 04-27-2001, 10:36 AM
Re: coups - by Guest - 04-27-2001, 10:54 AM