Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Second late-antique fortress at CUT/Xanten(D) ?
(04-11-2016, 05:55 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(04-11-2016, 04:00 PM)Simplex Wrote: there is no recent round-up available that compares to von Petrikovits/Johnson/Lander.

Not to that level of detail, I think. Although Sofia Turk's thesis, The Defensive System of the Late Roman Limes Between Germania Secunda and Britannia present quite a useful digest of current information, I think.

(04-11-2016, 04:00 PM)Simplex Wrote: Otten does away with the conception that judged after the coinage that there had been a hiatus on that very site between 275-310. New finds/evidence strongly suggest that it has not been so.

Good. Thanks for that news! I've never found the idea of wholesale abandonment of either land or large military installations on the lower Rhine in that period very convincing. There seems to be plenty of new evidence coming in that this was not so.

Hi,
I'm here to inform you that the discussion on that second "fortress" made some
progress as per April, 2nd ( not 1st !).
http://www.geschichtsforum.de/f28/zweite-sp-tantike-festung-auf-dem-terrain-der-cut-xanten-apx-51686/index2.html
The threadleader "skilehrer" reported about some talks he had with the persons-in-charge on occasion of a recent guided tour there.
(Dr.Norbert Zieling, chief excavator at Archeologischer Park Xanten and Dr. Clive Bridger archeologist-in-charge with the regional Monument's Authority .)
As per the exact location:
A rectacular form stretching over insulae 7 & 14 has become more likely than the quadratic shape
that had been assumed previously. The eastern gate seems to have been located far more to the east than shown in the sketches.
As of the dating: They have found a couple fibulae , of a type in use by the mid of the 3rd century AD.
The only coin so far dates from the times of Antoninus Pius .
We would then have a very early Terminus Post Quem ( point of time after which), but as we have already seen at the Harzhorn, this only may reflect the longevity of use such coins enjoyed.
While most of the area has already been scrutinized  geophysically, there is this a lot of assumptions that need o be veryfied by further excavations and respective their results.
According to both it is still not 100% clear, whether this was a more fortificial/garrisoning installation or a fortified storage. As they see it this installation however is not directly comparable to late-roman installations like at Eining(BAY/Danube) oder Dormagen(NRW/Rhein) but rather more  like, and that expressedly includes the possible (early) dating,  fortified storages like that an Mönchengladbach-Rheydt(NRW/Niers).
Most likely that one:
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=42&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjXkum5maLTAhVLthQKHVSvCsEQFgjrATAp&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkups.ub.uni-koeln.de%2F6310%2F4%2FHupka_Muelfort_DissText.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGrfsIj9DZixRBIJ39I18kUyne0Qw   >>Page 54. (With 80x80 m more than just a little bit smaller, though)
Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Second late-antique fortress at CUT/Xanten(D) ? - by Simplex - 04-13-2017, 08:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wolfgang Böhme: Late antique military belts Simplex 1 129 07-15-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late antique Spangenhelmets Flavivs Aetivs 3 1,532 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Last Post: jkmol
  Late antique fortifications database SMC 14 5,075 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Last Post: SMC