Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War
(01-26-2016, 01:46 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 06:02 PM)Renatus Wrote: A major revolt in Judaea could well require reinforcements to brought in from elsewhere in Asia Minor.

True. Reinforcements did come from the Danube provinces, and possibly from Raetia and Germania too, so anything's possible!

(01-25-2016, 06:02 PM)Renatus Wrote: probably undertaking naval engagements to protect or recover coastal cities from the rebels... equally could relate to naval operations in 67

I've had a look through Smallwood's book, which is generally excellent on the revolt. In this case, though, I'm not sure if I agree. The scope of the revolt, and the area 'conquered' by the rebels, seems to have been limited to inland Judea, particularly around Hebron and the hills south of Jerusalem, and the area around the Dead Sea, perhaps spreading east into Arabia. Samaria, Galilee and the coastal areas don't seem to have been affected.

Still, again, it's possible. What I was wondering, though, is whether we have evidence of any sort of land-based campaign roles for marine troops or seamen, perhaps non-combat, that might have earned their commander an award? I vaguely remember that Jasper Oorthuys came up with a theory about fleet personnel doing something in Arabia...

Jasper Oorthuys in his contribution to Ancient Warfare VOL.IV Issue 4 intitled "Fleets of the empire" suggests that roman naval troops, stationed in Italy or scattered in small bases in the Mediterrean, could act as a ready pool of trained troops to be employed in a myriad of task not necesarily related to maritime affairs, ranging from supply duties to maintaining commnunications and police operations as the necessity arose. Maybe the answer could be found looking at the syrian fleet marines acting against the judean rebels in this role. Although he refers mainly to the Italic fleets it could be supposed as well to be a job for the detachments based in the Eastern Mediterranean coasts.

salvete
SI VIS PACEM COLE IVSTITIAM

NVLLA SINE DIGNITATE FELICITAS

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - Toni Sagarra

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War - by LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - 01-28-2016, 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classis Britannica in Scotland Lianachan 8 3,845 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Lianachan
  New CLASSIS-soldier (!!) tombstone discovered in Italy Luca 124 30,396 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Quintus Julius Furius