Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War
(01-24-2016, 05:22 PM)Renatus Wrote: whichever unit Dexter commanded at the time, it served in that war - or do I misunderstand you?

I was a bit unclear, sorry! I meant to say that if the inscription could be read either way, and we therefore can't tell which of Dexter's units participated in the war, it's a safer assumption that it was the one based on Syria rather than the one on Cappadocia. It would not be implausible for a prefect of the Syrian fleet to at least have come into contact with a large-scale imperial operation in a neighbouring province, which we know involved troops from Syria.

Anyway, to return to my original query - if we assume that Dexter's award was given for his service as praefectus classis - what might he or the fleet have been doing in the revolt?

Might that second inscription I mentioned (bello Iudae(ico?)... qua Liburni ( c)lassis ornatu... orae mari[timae]) have anything to do with it?
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War - by Nathan Ross - 01-25-2016, 10:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classis Britannica in Scotland Lianachan 8 3,845 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Lianachan
  New CLASSIS-soldier (!!) tombstone discovered in Italy Luca 124 30,396 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Quintus Julius Furius