Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata?
(12-01-2015, 12:14 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: Segmentata remains in use (along with hamata and squamata and musculata) until the state takes over the armour making fabricas.

When was that, though? The imperial fabricae are usually seen as an innovation of Diocletian, I think.

Even so, there could be a connection. I wondered back in this thread whether the later Roman army was able (due to centralised production, or improved metalworking technology?) to equip more of its troops with musculata. Perhaps it was just faster (or easier, or something) to produce armour made from two large sheets of metal, rather than lots of smaller bits fastened together?

Not sure about the 'extended period of success' though - the 3rd century (when the change seems to have happened) was surely a bit of a low point. I do not, however, think these things are related!
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata? - by Nathan Ross - 12-01-2015, 12:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disappearance of the military triumph constantius 9 3,749 11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of velites Gladius Hispaniensis 12 4,584 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Coriolanus
  IX Hispania Disappearance Myth Hoojio 18 6,777 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale