Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D.
i am currently taking an art history class and we areĀ  discussing the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius originating around 170 A.D. in our discussion the size of the horse was mentioned. the horse is proportionally smaller than than the rider, and my teacher said that the horse was from one statue while the rider was from another and was likely added to the horse latter. My opinion was that it was just a smaller horse. and i have found no evidence from any art related site say that the horse and rider were joined separately.

in my research of the statue i found out that the saddle is believed to be Persian. which would have been part of the roman empire at this time. and that in a separate relief Conquest and Clemency. is very similar to the statue. The statue is believed to have once had something under the horses raised hoof. Possibly one of the conquered barbarians from the Conquest and clemency relief.

My question is. what type of horse was commonly found in the roman army at this time. Would it be reasonable to say the Romans were using smaller war ponies. or could the horse he was riding been a native horse of the conquered Germanic tribes / Samaritan?

Messages In This Thread
equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. - by fattkid08 - 10-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 522 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius Valerian 33 9,221 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Marcus Aurelius in Asia Logarythmus 4 2,568 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Logarythmus