Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cannibalism with the celts
Well Caesar has some discussions in the description of one of his Gallic sieges (Alesia) but it was more or les as the Gauls say that they will be eating corpses than surrender than actually being a habit.

Caesar De Bello Gallico VII.77

What, then, is my counsel? To do what our forefathers did in the war, in no wise equal to this, with the Cimbri and the Teutones. They shut themselves into the towns, and under stress of a like scarcity sustained life on the bodies of those whose age showed them useless for war, and delivered not themselves to the enemy. And if we had not a precedent for this, I should still have judged it a most glorious thing for the sake of p495liberty to set such a one and to hand it down to posterity. For wherein was that war like this? The Cimbri devastated Gaul, they brought great disaster upon us, yet they departed at length from our borders and sought other countries, leaving us our rights, laws, lands, liberty. But the Romans — what else do they seek or desire than to follow where envy leads, to settle in the lands and states of men whose noble report and martial strength they have learnt, and to bind upon them a perpetual slavery? 'Tis in no other fashion they have waged wars. And if ye know not what is afoot among distant nations, look now on Gaul close at hand, which has been reduced to a province, with utter change of rights and laws, and crushed beneath the axes3 in everlasting slavery."

translation from this link:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...r/7G*.html
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro

Messages In This Thread
cannibalism with the celts - by Alanus - 10-14-2015, 07:57 PM
cannibalism with the celts - by Alanus - 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM
cannibalism with the celts - by Urselius - 10-16-2015, 07:57 AM
cannibalism with the celts - by Gunthamund Hasding - 10-16-2015, 10:29 AM
cannibalism with the celts - by richard - 10-16-2015, 10:34 PM