Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle?
Indeed-a copy and paste from the net.

in Seneca's De Beneficiis 5.24:

A veteran who had been a bit too rough with his neighbors was pleading his case before Julius Caesar. "Do you remember," he said, "Imperator, how you twisted your ankle near Sucro?" When Caesar said he did remember: "Then you certainly remember that when you were lying to rest under a tree that was casting just a tiny shadow, in a very tough terrain with just that one lonely tree sticking out, one of your men laid out his cloak for you?"
Caesar said "Why shouldn't I remember, even if I was exhausted? Because I was unable to walk I couldn't go to the nearby spring, and I would have been willing to crawl there on hands and knees, if it were not for a good soldier, a brave industrious chap, hadn't brought me water in his helmet?" to which the man replied,
"Then, Imperator, you could recognize that man, or that helmet?" Caesar answered that he couldn't recognize the helmet, but certainly the man, and added, a bit irritated I think, "And you certainly are not him!" "It's not surprising," said the man, "that you do not recognize me, Caesar; for when that happened I was whole. Afterwards, at Munda my eye was gouged out, and my skull smashed in. Nor would you recognize that helmet if you saw it: it was split by a Hispanian saber. "

Caesar awarded the case to the veteran."

Seneca- Moral Essays: volume 3
LATIN
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text...ection%3D3
-Rod Dickson

Messages In This Thread
Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle? - by Rod Dickson - 09-07-2015, 03:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Pirates Such a Threat it Took a Military Genius Like Julius Caesar to Beat Them? Wrangler29 1 173 06-05-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,329 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Location of Caesar's decisive battle against Cassivellaunus tikeshe 2 1,509 01-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: tikeshe