Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata
"Also, you may never really get rid of some deep pitting and 'crackle' lines without really re-surfacing the metal. But, considering this stuff was all made by hand and without modern machinery and tolerances/quality control, I wouldn't worry about it being "perfect" smooth, etc. "

I always wondered about that. Given the hard use that most Roman army equipment undoubtably recieved, particualry while on active campaiagn combined with the materials, nature of manufacture, etc. I imagine most legionaries kit was pretty banged up. Scratched, scuffed, pitted and dinged Lorica (and helmets for that matter) and scarred sheilds must have been common place.

I suspect there was no gaurentee that even a new recruit was gettinging brand new gear. I can hear the quartermaster...

"Next! Whats this then? A proby? Hmmmm.... well you seem to be the same size as old Quintus. Shame 'bout him. He was a good man, though terrible at dice. Well, his lorica is cleaned and all pactched up now, and he won't be needing it anymore. Now for a helmet....."

Adrian

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata - by Martin Britt - 02-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata - by Adrian Gunn - 09-09-2015, 02:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 272 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,788 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
Sad Rust on my Lorica Laminata Quintus Dias 2 1,669 06-28-2017, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Quintus Dias