Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triplex Acies and the Standard
Interesting response, I agree.

Pliny the Elder wrote that the Romans had five different types of standards, eagles, horses, boars, wolves, and minotaurs. Marius adopted the most senior standard, the eagle, left the rest back in camp during battle.

I've read an account of a Roman centurion, Lucius Siccius Dentatus, who while in battle as a young miles gregarius, probably hastati, he saved the legions standard from being captured by the enemy, also saving the reputation of the primus pilus. What is notable about that account is that Livy makes it clear that it was the primipilus' duty to protect the standard in battle. So he would have to be close by. Add to that is another source, can't remember which, but it said in camp it was the primipilus' job to look out for the eagle standard.

So it makes me wonder if the primipilus was wandering the battlefield before the triari were committed he would have probably been obligated to bring the standard with him, to look out for it.

There are many accounts of battle where the triari either weren't used or they served as camp guards. If that were the case I don't think the most experienced and prestigious centurion out of 60 would hang back, with virtus on the line i think he would find a way to hang out at or near the front line during the battle.

Messages In This Thread
Triplex Acies and the Standard - by Bryan - 08-15-2015, 02:55 AM
Triplex Acies and the Standard - by Tim NC - 08-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Triplex Acies and the Standard - by Bryan - 08-16-2015, 02:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Acies quadratum” On the square formation of the Roman army Julian de Vries 12 2,222 09-19-2021, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Acies quadrata Cesco 43 7,028 02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Functionality of the triplex acies louisxyz 25 10,254 07-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Brent Nielsen