Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae
The "300"-movie Spartan image is completely wrong (as you are probably aware of).

Spartans didn't use Corinthian helmets at Thermopylai. They have abandoned the use of Corinthian helmets before the battle took place (can't remember when exactly). Spartans used pilos helmets at the Hot Gates, since they gave broader vision and didn't impair hearing. They were also lighter, and breathing was easier while wearing them. Spartans also said themselves that they had no fear in their faces to hide behind a helmet, and that was the reason they used pilos-helmets. All the illustrations show pilos helmets without chin straps, but would they really hold in place while fighting, without tying them below the chin?

As for the armour I'm not so sure as I am about the helmets, but it's probable that some of the Spartans used body armour, and some maybe not. Greaves were of course used by everyone, but maybe bronze thorakes or linothorakes were used by wealthier men. Aspis shield was of course the main defence, and you don't necessarily need a body armour when fighting in a Greek phalanx holding an aspis.

For weapons they used dory, spear, as the main weapon, as usual. Striking overhand above the shieldwall. Secondary weapon was a short sword similar to xiphos used by all Greeks, but shorter. It might be sometimes called xiphidion, a little xiphos. It was handier than a long sword in close quarters if the shieldwalls clashed together and spear couldn't thrust so near. Spartans bragged again that they had no fear of coming close to their enemy and thus didn't need longer swords.

I don't remember sources for these bits of information now, but they came from various studies and articles by researchers I've read. I hope this helps at least a little. Someone can add corrections about the body armour, if there are corrections to be made.
Antonius Insulae (Sakari)

Messages In This Thread
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Diomed - 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Antonius Insulae - 07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Doc - 07-09-2015, 02:43 AM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Vindex - 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Goce - 07-14-2015, 04:26 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-05-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by JoshoB - 11-07-2015, 12:22 AM
RE: Spartan panoply at Thermopylae - by Romilos Lfc Fronimides - 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan/Thespian grave in Thermopylae? Giannis K. Hoplite 6 5,158 05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite