Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obtaining your military kit in Roman times
Dear fellow RAT members,

I have been asking myself a question lately about the historical and archaeological evidence we have on the way the Roman legionairs en auxiliary units obtained their armor, weapons etc. Some years ago I was told that the Roman legionairs paid for their own kit, but upon enlisting received the basic kit from the army (which they then had to pay off), while auxiliary units had to gather their own stuff. Later on they then could buy other equipment. Plus the evidence there is for re-using old equipment (inscribed helmets from Xanten for example)

For a exhibition project I am working on I have to proof some text about the auxilia and found myself unable to find actual evidence for this theory. Most of my books skip the subject of paying for the kit and only discuss the variation in kit etc.

My question thus is whether you can help me by either confirming or denying my theory, but mostly if you can help me by naming sources (both ancient and modern) that discuss this specific topic. While I am prone to believe convicing arguments, I prefer to back my story (and exhibition) with scientific research.

Thank you very much,
Joerie van Sister
Carpe Diem

Messages In This Thread
Obtaining your military kit in Roman times - by Xarim - 01-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gambesons in roman times? Draugr the Greedy 18 3,038 05-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Empire Travel Times Flavivs Aetivs 0 1,164 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman military equipment in Republican times Cornelius A 4 2,192 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Last Post: dengland