Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy looking to build a Roman era kit.
Ok I am a bit new here and I have been into living history for 3 years already. I mainly do 13th century but I have been getting more interest in doing Roman era stuff. I am located in the New Jersey area and if anyone knew any local groups who do Roman era stuff I would be interested in getting involved.
Now I dont have the excess cash to fully do a Roman Legionnaire right away. Just not happening at least anytime soon. So I decided maybe I should do a Germanic Tribesman's kit until I have the funds to do a Roman outfit. I could probably get away with having little to no armor, so that big expense is out of the way. My biggest problem is finding a proper weapon. I dont have the money for Albion's Cherusker and thats basically the only Germanic weapon I could find with my current resources. Clothing I have no clue where I could get that stuff, I mean I could possibly get away with using some of HE's Thorsbjerg Mose trousers, which I am also planning on getting anyway for a viking kit. I really have no clue where to look for good equipment for the Roman era honestly.
Shoes I have absolutely no clue where to go for those, all I see are the cheap GDFB roman sandals and MRLs stuff which I know MRL's stuff is junk and GDFB's stuff I've owned in the past and didnt like it at all.
Shield I could just buy a boss and make my own flat shield. Not a real big problem there.
I do know in the Teutoburg forest battle some of the Germanics who fought the Romans were auxiliaries who stayed loyal to Armenius and I could possibly try to portray one of them using some Roman equipment which would make it overlap with doing a future Roman outfit as well. Not sure if it would cost more than a full blown Roman kit.
Suggestions would be well appreciated and I hope you guys can help me out.

Messages In This Thread
New guy looking to build a Roman era kit. - by Shawn Sebok - 12-11-2014, 11:20 PM