Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
research for historical novel. Two questions
Quote:Not [i]that[/i]; I meant the abbreviation "exs". What I was curious about was the fact not all translations of the inscription interpret "exs" as meaning "standard-bearer"; I've seen it as "decorated soldier". Are there different interpretations of the meaning of the abbreviation "exs"?
The inscription is CIL XIII, 7514. EDCS renders the 'exs' as 'ex{s}', signifying that the 's' may be regarded as erroneous or superfluous. This would mean that Pantera was described simply as miles ex cohorte I sagittariorum, literally 'soldier from the first cohort of archers'. There is nothing about his image (so much of it as survives) to indicate that he was a standard bearer or that he had been decorated. It is safer to regard him as a common soldier.

There is a peculiarity about the carving of miles in that there is a gap between the 'e' and the 's'. The stone is damaged at this point but not to the extent of eradicating all signs of missing letters. CIL, quoting an earlier authority, suggests that the damage was pre-existing; the stonecutter, therefore, avoided it by placing the 'e' and 's' on either side. Thus, there is nothing to be read into this peculiarity.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
research for historical novel. Two questions - by Renatus - 11-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research questions for a book Kate Quinn 22 4,806 12-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Paul Elliott