Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem
(11-04-2014, 10:52 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: The two parts of this inscription are listed as CIIP-01-02, 00715. You can look it up on Clauss Slaby by typing that into the 'publication' field. Their version of the text is as follows:

Imp(eratori) Cae[sari divi Traiani] / Parthic(i) [f(ilio) divi Nerv]ae nep(oti) / Traiano [Hadri]ano August(o) / pont(ifici) ma[x(imo)] trib(unicia) pot(estate) XIIII / c[o(n)s(uli)] III p(atri) p(atriae) / l[eg(io) X F]reten[sis Antoninia]na{e}

As you can see, the last word is reconstructed from the final 'na' (!!) - I've seen other transcriptions that mention that this word was apparently added in a different hand, presumably later.

However, as Duncan mentions above, the actual inscriptions seem only to have the 'reten' part of the legion title. I don't know if the rest is too faint to be seen on the photograph...

If you enlarge this image to, say, 200%, you can just make out the letters 'NAE' crudely carved to the right of the cut-out. They are much less deeply inscribed than the rest of the lettering and, as has been said, evidently added later.

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
RE: the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - by Renatus - 09-11-2017, 11:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10th Legion sent to Rome, enroute to Jewish War Petertimber 4 1,874 10-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Which Legion was in Jerusalem 35. AD Charlie 5 3,547 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Charlie
  X Fretensis in Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem) Jona Lendering 1 1,107 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell