Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilliary Armor
Quote:I'd be wary of using Trajan's Column for determining the technical aspects of Roman armour.

True, but I don't think we have many better sources for auxiliary infantry hamata. I'd also be less concerned because hamata is somewhat less "technical" than many other armors. Mail is flexible and tends to just drape to fit. So in reality, there was probably only a limited number of sizes issued that just had to sort of fit the soldier. So a reproduction does not need to fit perfect, since it likely would not have in reality.

Obviously, there are plenty of problems with Trajan's Column. You couldn't make a functional segmentata based on the abstract depiction give. And you certainly couldn't recreate the Cataphract armor. But I don't think that the hamata is all that problematic, though I certainly don't think that auxiliary armor was limited to single type or pattern of armor at the time of the Dacian war.

Also, for Connor, I would note that if you are looking for an accurate impression, you may wish to consult with one of the reenactment groups who specializes in auxilia.

Messages In This Thread
Auxilliary Armor - by Connor Augustus - 10-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Auxilliary Armor - by Gaius Varro - 10-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Auxilliary Armor - by Dan Howard - 10-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Auxilliary Armor - by Gaius Varro - 10-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Auxilliary Armor - by Gaius Varro - 10-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilliary Helmets derek forrest 2 1,200 12-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  infantry vs. auxilliary Anonymous 9 2,776 05-24-2001, 12:24 PM
Last Post: