Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The invention of the maniple, & the Dunbar Number
Well thank you. Anyway, the Dunbar number is not a hard and fast one, but 200 would be within the range/deviation. If centuries are 80, would the army split one of them to make up maniple, or am I miscounting?

Now, my reading is not thorough, but my suggestion is that the maniple developed because it served two purposes: the size of the unit happened to be superior to the phalanx, and at the same time it was practical for unit cohesion and phychological/social support. Caring for your friends and not letting them down sort of thing. And I didn't say it disappeared, I said that at least the social concept, and the Roman military was pretty much its own social class, kept on. I was casually (I do a lot of that) looking through Roman fort designs and see that barrack blocks face each other, which perhaps reinforces this sense of community.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
The invention of the maniple, & the Dunbar Number - by antiochus - 09-15-2014, 02:54 AM
The invention of the maniple, & the Dunbar Number - by richard - 09-15-2014, 10:05 AM
The invention of the maniple, & the Dunbar Number - by antiochus - 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM