Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze cladding for the wooden gladiuspommel
I know of no bronze clad guards and pommels, but the Rheingonheim gladius had the wooden guard, pommel and grip completety sheathed/encased in silver plate. A skilled silversmith could do this today, but it would be expensive. You could "fake it" by painting a silver-based coating on the parts, and then have them silver electroplated.<br>
<br>
As Mike said, there are a number of surviving wood, ivory and bone guards and pommels, yet none show traces of metal cladding. I do have a bronze clad wood pommel, but it may have been for a medieval sword as the shape doesn't quite match the Roman norm.<br>
<br>
It should be said here that most reenactors have grossly exaggerated the size of their sword pommels. The Deepeeka ones seem rather small by comparison, and are based on the average size of the surviving artifacts.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Bronze cladding for the wooden gladiuspommel - by Anonymous - 10-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Re: Bronze cladding for the wooden gladiuspommel - by Anonymous - 10-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Re: Bronze cladding for the wooden gladiuspommel - by Anonymous - 10-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Re: Bronze cladding for the wooden gladiuspommel - by Daniel S Peterson - 11-21-2004, 11:43 PM