Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmets, customisation, artistic favors...
Hello to all ancient history/warfare lovers.

It may not be the politest thing to ask for something in the first post in this forum but I hope you be understanding.

I will also add a discussion topic Smile

So, I would kindly ask if someone who has a helmet of Corintihan and Attic type is willing to make a several pictures for me, when time allowes them, showing ''unusual angles'' not often seen in photos from museums etc...

Specifically no en face or 2/3 view but actually several photos showing a 360 degree view of helmet laying on the ground, showing its hollow area. That is, from angle a) below and (if someone likes the idea) angle b). But mostly a), put like this and turned around its axis.

[Image: 28lv1xy.jpg]

That is it :wink: I'll owe you one.

As for discussion...

I am very interested in the real, down to earth, non romanticized approach to ancient warfare...Statues and pottery are one, same as raising the flag at Iwo Jima is, but actual (in)glorious reality is another thing.

What I would like to talk about is, based on extensive experience many of you have with reenactorship (if that is the term), what kind of functional equipment customisation you think could be present in ancient Greek armies?

Now this is the topic where you can rarely call in ancient literature or pottery reference. It is a matter of imagination, creativity and mostly on field experience. For example, I don't like how most illustrators always show something that is more of a blueprint for the soldiers that what they would actually look like. And it makes them look very generic.To take more recent example, books almost never (with the exception of Vietnam war) show all those custom straps, graffiti, uniform and armor alterations soldiers always make to extent that even in modern, strictly regulated armies you can't easily find identicaly equipped individuals - especially in, hm, less formal armies that resemble ancient ones more than USMC.

Greeks (mostly) didn't have a standard issue equipment, so they would naturally take care of all the custom personal stuff when ordering armor...but, in their case, what would be ''non standard issue'', to put it that way, equipment that hoplite would use to make his combat more comfortable and /or practical. Did you find yourself needing something like that?

To think out loud...

Apart from taking care of chronic (usually joint) injuries (I injured wrist and shoulder while trying to pierce wood with a spear :oops: ) would you do something else before battle?
Are there certain parts of thorax that irritate the skin no matter how well it fits?
Does even well fitted greaves burn the ankle or midfoot?
Would the heat make hoplites shorten or cut the chiton to make it all less ''oven like''?
Also, I read somewhere that checkered pattern sometimes seen on pottery helmets could actually be a cloth put there to prevent overheating (something like what Crusaders did in the Holy Land)?
Are those 2-4 holes in corinthians, punched is such a raw fashion (compared to the delicate work of the original maestro maker), used when soldiers only realized they should strap the helm somehow?
Or that they wanted better hearing :whistle: Would poorer hoplites immitate bronze greaves with cheap cloth or such?

What would you do with looted armor?
Would you use some cloth strap the greaves that are just a bit too big for you, since the dead guy you stole it from only seemed like your ''size''...?

So I am not thinking fashion customization but functional one...

Thinking out loud, too many questions (don't have to answer them), I know...but what do you think? I would like to see creativity...

Like those who made this little gem for example were...

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/1fa95c47147b49...CYT0YF.jpg

Regards!
Gordan

,,The Greeks did not follow a straight path of military efficiency. They were guided, rather, by culture, especially by the legacy of their past.\'\'

Messages In This Thread
Helmets, customisation, artistic favors... - by Goce - 09-08-2014, 11:40 AM