Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The awesome-named Alanii and Excalibur
I'm reading this book called "A History of Alans in the West", Bachrach,Bernard. I'm not certain on how accurate this author is nor how trustable his sources on his work are. But there was one passage which I quote:

"They worshipped a symbol of sorts - a naked sword thurst into the bare earth.The sword (it is unclear if any sword was adequate or if there was a special one) seems to have represented the god of war who in Latin was called Mars. This god of war is the only god concerning which we have information, and may indeed have been their only god."

The only symbol of Alanic background which so far I've managed to obtain is the shield pattern of the Comites Alanii.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/...arison.png

Now, these lines of thoughts are all too frail and may only be a product of coincidence, but I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

- Excalibur was said to be a sword thrust on earth, or a rock. It was supposedly a sword of great importance.

- There are lines of research which indicate that if Arthur really existed, he could have been a great horseman. The Alanii are cited multiple times in multiple sources as being a warrior-based equestrian nomad tribe.

- The time period of the pressure made on Alan tribes from Huns in the Black Sea region to resettle in western areas seems close to the time period of records of the possible coming of Arthur in Britannia.

- This line in the book also called my attention: "Culturally the Alans had developed patterns of assimilation which facilitated their absorption of conquered peoples as well as their own ability to be assimilated by other cultures". So it isn't far-fetched to believe Arthur was assimilated into Briton tribes.

Messages In This Thread
The awesome-named Alanii and Excalibur - by Alan - 08-27-2014, 06:14 PM
The awesome-named Alanii and Excalibur - by Alan - 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM
The awesome-named Alanii and Excalibur - by Alan - 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any evidence of pre-Caesar named legions? louisxyz 9 2,911 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Last Post: popularis