Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue.
Greetings! New to the forum, very big fan of and have a great interest in, ancient Greek hoplitic warfare. I've just received this very very lovely aspis replica from the KultofAthena site. - http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...ite+Shield

To my amazement it came with the inner cording, and I have since attached lots of makeshift material inside the porpax and have created a makeshift antilabe secondary grip with some twisted hemp rope.

I have an issue of comfort! The shield is beautiful, even unpainted, and feels wonderful save for a few things! The sheer weight of the wood, in my grip, presses very uncomfortably on the top of my left fore-arm with the assistance of gravity. The pretty brass or bronze, (I think it's brass) porpax does bend outward on both of its' edges, so it doesn't 'bite' into my fore-arm, but it's still extremely uncomfortable to hold to a certain degree, and exacerbated for any duration of length. I've immediately adapted the porpax slightly with lengths of fabric belts I've had spares of, though it's not the final answer to the issue.

My questions simply are, what kinds of materials should I use to make the inside of the shield more comfortable on my shoulder? And much more pressing of an issue, I believe the porpax should fit very snugly around my fore-arm, and certainly more comfortably than the brass alone allows, (it's very painful nakedly equipped), so, what materials might I use, especially within the realms of historical accuracy. Where might I get them, and how might I apply them?

I've heard of felt? Or animal pelts?

Thank you very much in advance. :oops:

Messages In This Thread
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Janas Aurora - 08-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Huovi - 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Kineas - 11-19-2014, 09:11 PM