Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sallust\'s description of Catiline\'s legions.
Howard, Mark

interesting debate, with no simple answer, I agree there are not too many "good" deployment examples out there. I also think the answer, at least for this period, can be still found in Caesar and I think that is just as simple: there is no standard, at least not for a good general. From what I read Catiline wasn't a stump as well, we don't need to agree that Caesar was a good enough general (the list of defeated kings, generals and other commanders is too long to deny it); so the my answer is: a good general uses his forces as he sees fit to win, 3 lines, 2 lines, 4 lines it depends: on the way the other general is drawing up, terrain, troops at disposal, unit strength.

Just a small comment on Vegetius, 400+ years is quite a time even if you have the "ancients" to read and cite, remember there were some error sources at that time: the books were hand copied, even language changed over 400 years I would guess, and as we all now the "good old days and ways" is cited even today

so for me I don't think there is an simple answer and unfortunately if there was one is lost to us, we can use only what we have and this is: the best general makes use of the flexibility of cohortal organization in order to win his battles

Cheers
Gelu

PS Reading Caesar is a must
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro

Messages In This Thread
Sallust\'s description of Catiline\'s legions. - by Gunthamund Hasding - 06-20-2014, 05:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sallust and the 600 man cohort Steven James 5 2,636 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat