Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sallust\'s description of Catiline\'s legions.
Quote:....................
we already had this subject in another thread I was able to find quite e few in Caesar will have to find where I posted, unfortunately I am presently at work where not all Forums functions work as they should.........................

Gelu, thank you - my simple comment deserves to be countered... Smile

However, none of those examples are 'consistent'. I have seen texts state that Republican legions (cf Caesar) deploy 4-3-3 (hence the title of the original thread) as if it is the only way - but even the examples you cite are all at different levels of detail and we could reliably draw no deployment maps from them.

For my part I believe Vegetius sums it up with his standard 5x2 deployment - and we might assume that normally applies to the legion deployments your examples do show. Given my determinations on the manipular legion deployment (slightly different to Keppie's) and the likely later standard cohort deployment; the Vegetian cited 5x2 and the Polybian manipular have identical deployment frontages.

But, not surprisingly, no writings of actual battles mention boring 'standard' stuff! :wink:

Messages In This Thread
Sallust\'s description of Catiline\'s legions. - by Mark Hygate - 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sallust and the 600 man cohort Steven James 5 2,636 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat