Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap
Quote:............................
In the past I've brought up this one large point that you've never acknowledged. Unless mounted on a tall horse (like senior officers of the legions did, such as tribunes, legates and commanders) a centurion even two ranks behind the front rank would have ZERO idea what was actually happening in the front rank because he wouldn't be able to see over the heads and crests of the soldiers in front of him. Add to this your conception that he stood someone in the back of the century, way beyond two ranks, and he would have been blind to the fighting in the front. Is it your contention that some sort of "runner" existed on the front lines that would reported back to the rear of the century to let the centurion know what was happening in the front ranks? .................................. If you want to debate this more, create another topic. But I'd recommend you do some more research first.

.......................]

Happy to do more research first before initiating a full and deep re-discussion, but certainly wished to acknowledge your point - for I promise I've not ignored it before intentionally - I just do not think it applies...

The century is formed 10x6 with the Optio at the rear left and the signifer at the front right (in front of the 1st man of the 1st file - with the centurion next to him. That's how you form up and then advance (if necessary). The centurions job at this time is to ensure the line is kept and he needs to see where those to left and right of him are. When the engagement is about to start - it's 'standards to the rear' and both signifer and centurion retire to the rear right. The signifer is then visible as a marker to tribunes and legates of where everyone is - and where they can find the centurion if they need him and runners/cornicens can find them.

The century is only 25ft wide and, when closed up, only some 15ft front to back. A centurion can certainly see this far. When the battle is underway his prime role is to maintain the battle-line with his neighbours to prevent breakthrough and subsequent out-flanking - he cannot do that if he is fighting. The optio's are far too busy keeping their own century's ranks dressed (forcefully encouraging any shirkers if necessary) and organising the clearance of any casualties back some yards from the immediate battle. It's not their role to command unless the centurion is lost.

Only if his own century is not holding the line, or when the battle has become serious enough, or when a real push is necessary, does the centurion need to inspire his own troops from the front rank. Yes, the Greek hoplite-style of fighting had the leaders in the front rank - but that's why they displayed little tactical flexibility once engaged - just the sort of thing with the careful movement of centuries and maniples that the Romans were so noted for.

Yes, to see wider you have a horse - and a tribune (almost certainly in the Polybian period) sits back a little further looking after a 4-century frontage of 100ft with his 2-3 cornicens/runners next to him. That's still only 100ft. With only 100ft between tribunes and a maximum of perhaps 70ft to the furthest centurion (tribune is perhaps 50ft to the rear) - it's only shouting distance.

It's the Romans mastery of tactical command and control that makes them different - and that's why the command element is so essential. Yes, the centurions provided the inspirational (and that's why you read of it - it's the heroic bit to the fore) example of direct leadership when it was necessary. But you cannot command from the front and fight at the same time.

But yes, perhaps another topic for another time - but I assure you it wasn't ignored.

Messages In This Thread
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Mark Hygate - 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-23-2014, 05:17 PM