Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap
Quote:.............., dog bowl as a boss. ...........

Big Grin

Thank you kindly for a Saturday chuckle!

More seriously, I'm sorry, I don't lnow how but I simply didn't see this post before......

Overall I think your ideas perfectly sound, with just one addition and one digressing comment that is much wider.

In addition to all the practical carrying and marching elements I have previously postulated that it's also much more sensible to have the sword on the right when in the battle-line. For this scenario:

- in battle-line with pilum ready and sword sheathed
- throw pila
- brace in a shield-wall with your neighbours' using two hands
- hold the line, shield now tight up against your left-hand-side (not possible to draw sword)
- initial charge resisted, draw sword from un-engaged side and begin fight back

The 'officers' are not, to my mind, in that scenario (as we have discussed) - they only draw their swords when it's time, or there is a need, to get to the front and inspire (leading rather than commanding).

I do query the idea of shield-bearers overall, except for extremely high ranking officers/kings. I do particularly query the idea I have seen suggested several times before that any slaves are commonly on the battlefield. The odd personal paid servant for Tribunes and above, perhaps. Slaves do not belong on battlefields or around weapons - and they would have to be fed too; an additional logistic burden.

Messages In This Thread
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Mark Hygate - 06-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-23-2014, 05:17 PM