Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An inscription by many decurions? (Mavors8 needed)
Hi folks,

I am working on my Master's thesis about centurions and decurions of the auxilia, more specifically concerning their possible activities in the civil/civic/urban life/world (cities, mostly) in the Western part of the Roman Empire. For this I am making a prosopography of these officers, using as starting point the works of Spaul (Ala2, 1994 and Cohors2, 2000). Spaul refers to an inscription as "Mavors 8 p.62", which appears to mention quite a number of decurions of the Ala Cannanefatium (at least 14, so possibly all of them).

Our university library doesn't have Mavors 8 (M.P. Speidel, Roman Military Studies II, 1992) and [strike]nowhere on the internet I can find the inscription[/strike] with my latest search, just this minute, while typing this, I luckily found the inscription on Ubi Erat Lupa (http://www.ubi-erat-lupa.org/monument.php?id=8228), including other references.

As I have typed my message anyway, I would like to ask if anyone here has Mavors 8 on his/her bookshelf and would be so kind to take a look at page 62 and let me know what Speidel has to say about it - that would be greatly appreciated.

For a scan of the page I am willing to worship you as a demi-god. Send cult-statue; so that I can make a small sacrifice of bacon and eggs if you like. Followed by the erection of an inscription mentioning VSLLM of course.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History

Messages In This Thread
An inscription by many decurions? (Mavors8 needed) - by Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 04-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decurions and Centurions Jack 9 3,518 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Jack
  Needed: inscription to Claudianus, Napoli sonic 4 1,721 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Needed: Defaced inscription of Stilicho in the Roman Forum sonic 3 1,852 03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Last Post: SigniferOne