Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements
Hi Evan, thanks for your reply. I can see you put some time & effort I nto your reply so forgive me if I take a while to read & digest it before replying. I am not an expert on the Huns so I am not out to hit your theories over the head with wild alternate theories because I don't have any, it's just an interest, but any new information on how Attila could weld & maintain an empire out of groups of disparate tribes & nations containing various races with different cultural habits & religions that nearly brought the Western Roman Empire to its knees would make your proposed book more interesting although I know it is mainly about the lead-up to the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields. I acknowledge that Maenchen-Helfen is the "man" when it comes to the study of the European Huns but Kim has thrown open some insights on Central Asian links between Huns & Hiongnu & even European feudalism after the death of Attila, he doesn't mind mentioning historians on both sides of the argument not just ones who agree with him. Just on the name Attila being a Turkic or Germanic name, I was reading that the Germans in their legends referred to him as Edsel but I only read that from the internet. If you get the opportunity to read Kim's book I thoroughly recommend it.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Hun, Alan, Avar, and other Steppe Nomad Movements - by Michael Kerr - 02-28-2014, 03:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient trousers from steppe nomad Dave G 24 7,149 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Avar gorget mentioned in the Maurikios Strategikon Targitios 1 2,939 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker