Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman military tactics in modern riots?
Quote:...............Anyway, food for thought. Smile

Good post....

Which is why I seriously want to re-ask (as it got lost in the other post) - would the 'close-order quincunx' formation I proposed in Fig1 of my attachment in the older thread meet your requirements? Where the guys in the front of the staggered ranks have the space you need, but support is close-by and the 'shield wall' can be formed with a single pace from the 'posterior' elements if it was necessary.

I'm not asking you to agree that the formation is likely, or possible, or actually happened - but would it meet the essential criteria?

Like I've always said - I remain skeptical, mainly because of the way I see it operating and that Greeks and backwards and Saxons/Danes forward from Rome all used variations of shield-walls to fight from; but if the situation allows, then why not indeed!

Messages In This Thread
Roman military tactics in modern riots? - by Marc - 01-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Roman military tactics in modern riots? - by Mark Hygate - 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control JHCS 78 20,359 12-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Roman Influences over pc/modern warfare/military Michael Hill 5 2,914 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Roman Infantry Tactics by M. J. Taylor antiochus 14 3,989 02-18-2015, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor