Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4-5th century tunic idea for a germanic warrior...
Evan wrote

The Coptic Tunic evolved from Roman, not Germanic fashion.

I suspect it was more complicated than that. Traditional Roman tunics with clavi were sleeveless, what we now term Coptic tunics had sleeves, as did Germanic tunics. However Parthian, Palmyrene and Persian tunics also had sleeves and were more decorative than traditional Roman ones.

Both Germanic and Persian fashions were probably influential as they were in close contact with the frontier Imperial armies. Fashions and ideas also spread both ways. The sleeves and tailoring on Coptic tunics could have come via Germanic or Eastern fashions. However while the concept of decoration on clothing was probably an eastern fashion the type of decoration itself on Coptic tunics owes much to classical Roman motifs.

Some of the finds of tunics in Germany have been regarded as being Roman influenced in style or even Roman clothing traded or looted. For instance some experts say the Thorsberg tunic often regarded as classically Germanic may have belonged to a Roman Auxiliary!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
4-5th century tunic idea for a germanic warrior... - by Graham Sumner - 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a (first century AD) tunic Crispvs 64 26,576 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Nurglitch